After construction during the 2005-2006 school year was completed, Haller opened its doors in September of 2006. It is located on the site of the old Arlington High School. In fact, the gymnasium and band room, although renovated, are still the original structures used with the old Arlington High School.
The Naming of Haller:
In March of 2004, the ACE Committee (Advisory Council for Education) was asked by the School Board to gather suggestions from staff, students, parents & community members. The Committee reviewed the 62 suggestions. After discussion, the Committee submitted these three names to the Board: Amelia Earhardt MS, Haller MS, and Eleanor Roosevelt MS. The Board unanimously decided on Haller MS. Two people had originally suggested Haller Middle School. The background that they provided was: a) "Haller City School District and Arlington School District were incorporated in 1904." b) "Haller was the name of the town between Arlington and the river. Haller eventually became absorbed into the town of Arlington." It is correctly pronounced "Hal - er." It is commonly and mistakenly referred to as "Hall - er."
Wed, August 27, 2014